Friday, January 18, 2008

Can I Handle It?

I've been sitting hear and I have been thinking....it's a few days before my world gets kicked into turbo gear and the time that I have now I'll probably never see again...I laid in bed until 2:00 pm today and went to bed after 6: 00 am this morning. But at the same time I not fooling myself: I know it's the calm before the storm. This blog post was suppose to be about late new years resolutions, but I can't deny the feeling that's currently in my heart. This feeling is with beyond a doubt "fear". It's that not in a grown man's stomach, the racing pulse..a sense of uneasiness and hopelessness that occurs, its undeniable...everyman has his moment when something stomps on his manhood: it's fear. I'm not talking about a fear of physical proportions. A fear of self..a fear of future.. a fear of the COULD BEs.

The Story: I'm sat at the computer last night working on my schedule for this upcoming semester. My new 10 hr. per day job starts on Monday along with the reopening of school and the beginning of classes. I'm taking a full 18 credit load and writing my 40 page thesis on no-fault car insurance in the state of New York (how boring right?). I'm in the works of acquiring a car for the first time (hopefully by this Sunday). In addition this new job requires a bit of driving each day. Mind you I have never driven on a high way before but I will need to everyday in order to get back and forth to work. I have no other option really. So between now and Sunday I have to master it. Another source of my fear is the pressure of my performance at work. This job is a field I have never ventured into. it requires constant high energy. My mainstay is law but this job is more along the side of sales and marketing, although for those who are good with people their is the potential to make a phenomenal amount of money. The company is pretty huge but at the same time very young. This is good because the number of avenues for advancement is CRAZY. I am doing a program where I may be promoted to management (which is where I want to be) in about 6 -8 months. Their is also potential to start my own branch of the company. I haven't really thought about that yet but I know that it's where I want to be. One thing's for sure..it's going to take a lot out of me.

Second area of fear is my relationship. I'M SCARED. I'm scared because I want it to work but I haven't figured out the master plan as yet. I don't want it to take a backseat. I'm not scared for him though, but mostly for myself. I fear that this job will make it hard on us. Communication will be sacrificed in order to provide a good future for the both of us. I'm not ready to risk that yet. I know he's what I want and need. That's just the thing, he's what I NEED. I need his attention and I may not have it when I want it for the next 4 months. I haven't figured out yet when we will see each other. It looks like the most time we'll have for each other may be a potentially rushed one night out of the week (with out saying I'll be getting off of work late and and he'll be rushing off to work the next morning). Coming from the heart, if it's one thing I feel a a great weakness for in a relationship, it's that person's attention. I need it to survive. It pains me to know that the 2 hour conversations on the phone at night may not be a possibility. Plain talk: it's probably going to be the hardest months of my college career thus far. I haven't even taken into account study time. I'll be handling another 400 level science class again this spring and still trying to produce exceptional work on my senior thesis and juggling some other bullshit electives.

Well sighting all of this. The blog is bound to suffer more than it's been suffering within the past few months. You can also forget about my frat. or social life. It will be non-existent.

Well... I'll see you guys at the plantation fields bright and early..till then I'll continue humming my Negro spiritual...

Freedom is only a few footsteps away...


A very fearful Special K

1 comment:

Mr. Jones said...

Good luck, brotha. You can do it!