Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Sandwich Effect....

Ok, this is my first blog entry of the new year and it's also my 1 year blogging anniversary, yay!!!!! I guess I can milk that little commemoration for all its worth...I'm happy that I'm starting the new year, I'm happy that this is the year that I graduate form college which is just a small part of my life..I'm happy that I'm embarking on a new part of my life.. college really changes you and prepares you for the real world. It was definitely a valuable experience for me..to be exact it about $80,000 worth of valuable. However thanks to God and his goodness I only paid about $5,000 - $6,000. I looking to make some money now. Talking about money let me move on to the main topic of this post: My job interview experience. If you read my last entry you would remember that I left of with the anticipation of two interviews, one with AIG in Manhattan and one with Allstate. Well I had some surprising results.

I went to the AIG interview first, I had to interview with the HR repp, and two managers, I got through the 2 first interviews very well. Finally I had to face the last manager. The managers were lawyers that ran the claims department at AIG. The guy reviewed my resume, asked what activities I did at school, he asked about my experience working at a law firm and what exactly I did there. He also asked about my presidential scholarship and my GPA. So your boy went straight into interview mode and started blabbing out all my experience, my involvement on campus, emphasizing leadership and critical thinking abilities and how I was so interested in the insurance industry. So I am feeling confident., I've connected with interviewer and I have made it seem like I'm the ideal candidate. Then it comes, he opens his mouth and says those gruesome words, "I'm afraid you are OVERQUALIFIED". My heart deflated. So the first thing I think is "act dumb". Talk about putting your foot in your mouth; I had to now make myself seem less smart in order to land the job. The irony was confounding. I quickly tried to dave myself but it was o no avail. The manager explained to me that he thought I as way too smart for the be and that the usually hired candidates with "some college" for this job. The job has a very monotonous one and there would be no room for elevation. He also wanted me to apply to another depart of AIG because he said my experience and ability would be more useful there. So I left empty handed.

NOw on to Allstate, this one was more directly my field so I was double sure I would have a repeat of the AIG incident. So I arrive at Allstate very happy and confident , after all I really rather this job than the AIG job. his interview required that I be tested through their testing system. I sat through the grueling our long test and waited another half hour to get the results. I PASSED!!! step one accomplished. NOw for the actual interview. The lady who was black (sorry I had to add that because come on, I have to be honest, it made me feel more at ease) looked at my resume, then with a little smile and surprise said you are very well qualified for this position but I only just noticed that you are still in school." FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what I said in the back of my head. She continued to explain that she wanted me to work there but needed to speak with some other managers about the situation. This would take a little while since everyone was on vacation. I also asked if I could take a lower position for the time being and move up once I graduated. he said she would look into it. I could tell she was being sincere. I'm going to give her a call to see how that is coming along later on this week.

I am a bit perturbed by these occurrence, I was having such and the then everything just came crashing down at the end of it. Like some evil spirit had to find me and fuck things over. It was so ironical, because I hadn't had such a bad week in months....that week I lost the possibility of having temporary winter break job, got my hours cut short by another job I was doing to make some extra cash for xmas, found out that I was wasn't going to get paid before xmas, so it would have mattered anyway, god my credit card screwed up (still trying to work that out). I also spent most of the week sobbing and studying for finals. Went through the madness at Toy R' Us in Time Square and still didn't get what I wanted for my niece and missed my flight to go home on christmas day which cut my vacation in half since I had to postpone for 2 days later. Then they had the nerve to attempt to charge me $600 on top of my 450 that I paid for my ticket. I DID NOT PAY THAT SHIT, I complained and complained like a typical angry black man until they overrode the system and printed my boarding passes.

So I'm over-qualified for AIG and under-qualified for Allstate.. hence the sandwich effect. Hopefully this year will bring a change in my recent luck. Happy New Year everyone, stay strong and focused.

5 comments:

Chet said...

First and Foremost: Happy New Year to you. Man it appears that you have had quite the interviews. Hey man do not allow that to worry you, there will be other interviews and you may find that most recent graduates do not start out by working in their field of study on the contrary. Have you considered taking a teaching job until something you actually want comes through? Okay the pay may not be great, but it is a respectable profession and the benefits will help you to get started, besides there are provisions that will allow you the opportunity to delay paying some of the student loans back, the education field allows you to continue your education (Master's Degree). I know exactly how you must have felt to learn that you over qualify for one job and under qualify for the other. Just prepare the "thank you" note/card for the interviewers and don't forget the jist card for them to pass on if another position becomes available with that company in which you may be qualified for, continue to apply for jobs and reach outside the box this time. By all means I know that you will eventually get that job. It appears you went all out for Christmas... Students with credit cards! Budget and plan, and say no when and if it places a strain on you.

fuzzy said...

Something will break for you. Possibly something better?

I didn't know you were in Bloomfield! So close!

Happy New Year's by the way!

Mr. Jones said...

Happy New Year! Something will happen soon enough. These just weren't your opportunities. You'll bounce back just fine. And just remember, it could be worse...you could be jobless now.

Promiscuous X said...

Dam you got alot going on yo lol. Dont worry you'll get that job you want. dam over qualified...i hate when i hear that. It makes me feel as if i did something wrong lol. but kodos to bout to graduate. do ya thing playa.

HisLoveCoversMe said...

Happy New Year my brother.

2008 is the year of new beginnings. This is the beginning of something great for you.

Be Blessed.