Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Why You Dress Like A Nigga?!!!






I recently went to meet a bunch of my homeboi's (all straight) to chill. Jokingly, as I entered the room, one of them exclaimed, "Why you dressed like an European son?!!!" Now this dude is always getting on me because of the unconventional way I dress, so I responded "Why you dress like a nigga?!!!" lol, don't worry he didn't get offended, it was funny. However, the experience brought up a major point. That little situation is actually the apex of a much deeper issue: how innately ingrained black stereotypes have become in our own culture. Even in the LGBT world peolpe believe that you have to dress a certain way in order ot represent your ethinicity. Don't get me wrong straight people do it too, and even more so; if you're gay, you shop at Hollister, Gap and AX and only wear boxerbriefs lol. People believe that we must dress and act a certain way in order to accurately represent our culture. I hope this message hasn't caught you offgaurd, yes, some people actually do think in this way!!! (big sarcastic gasp).

We also make other black people feel uncomfortable in order to portray as the same stereotype we complain about in the media. We actively contribute to the way other races feel about us. We ourselves believe that black males must be thuggish , wear extremely baggy clothing and own at least one pair of Timbs in order to be considered a straight, attractive black person. Is spending $100 on pair of over-sized jeans normal? I'm not saying I don't where baggy clothing, cuz I in fact do.

The funny thing is, that night I was wearing straight leg jeans, a designer t, a leather biker jacket, a pair of brown leather Clarks (u'all don't know about that, lol, it's a British/Caribbean thing) and a spray painted mesh cap over a stocking cap. If you ask me that's rather diverse, which I tend to go for most of the time. I feel confident in knowing that I can pull of the hood look, the white boi, the clean-cut and the Caribbean look if I wanted to, as I have done before. I believe there is nothing sexier than a dude in a well tailored suite and as shinny pair of Stacy Adams shoes (big grin). I figured I would end this article with some good stores that I have personally approved. Post recommendations in your comments, I'm looking for some new shoppings spots.

I gave approriate discriptions and indicated each stores genre, contact me for specific locations:

Image - Designer clothing: Oscar de la Renta, Gucci, Seven Jeans, True Religion Jeans etc.)
H&M - formal, semi-formal, casual, miscellaneous, GOOD UNDERWEAR!!!
Macy's - Everything
Pac Sun - West Coast/Skater Boi Apparel
Jimmy'z - A West Coast jeans company (there is only one on the East Coast located in Manhattan Mall)
Old Navy (You already know)
Xios (A Japanese clothing company: they sell wearable remakes of high-end fashion clothing)
O.M.G. (only good if your shopping for Levi's Jeans)
V.I.M. - Urbanwear
Spencer's - Strange but unique items, t-shirts, accessories etc.
T.J. Maxx (brand name items a affordable prices)

Tight Shopping Spots:

Woodbury Common (Upstate New York) - Outlet shopping, designer items
125th street and/or Fordham Rd, NY,NY - Urbanwear, Jewelrey
8th Street (The Village) - Good variety of kicks
8th Ave. (between 42nd and 34th) - Urbanwear, kicks, shoes etc.

The best way to make fashion statement is to make your own statement, make it say what you want it to say, not what Sean John tells you to say.

Special
K

2 comments:

ADSIDVE CONSCIVS said...

I love what Rome fashion designer (and master of elegance and opulence) once said: wear clothes that make you feel alive. There is no ultimate freedom than to wear what makes you feel good (and what best describes or personifies who you are as an individual). I definitely appreciate your blog entry.

I would describe myself as relatively conservative, with a somewhat urban to suburban flow. I am most comfortable in a button-up (oxford) with khakis (various earth tone shades), polos, dress slacks, various style sweaters (depending on the situation), and casual shoes (blacks or browns) that can be worn with khakis or certain jeans. My taste for jeans, T's, or even long-sleeve long john tops is not based on the inner-city thug drag look (no offense to anyone). But, all in all, I feel I dress in a manner that is comfortable (and acceptable) to me, not the status quo. And, by the way, I have discovered that Stacy Adams are some of the most comfortable dress shoes that I have worn (besides Bostonian and Florsheim).

What I also get from your writing that sometimes, it takes courage (the real inner strength) to stand along (some times), when others are fitting in (and settling for an image or fascade of strenth). I don't knock anyone who wants to wear extremely baggy jeans, the latest Tims, and the overly-sized fitted. To each it own. But, I hope that person can rise above his own choices to accept the next brotha's choice to be himself. Now, that's STRENGTH!

Again, I enjoyed reading your blog entry. I look forward to reading more!

Women Leather halter said...

I would describe myself as relatively conservative, with a somewhat urban to suburban flow.